Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Insert witty titles here, I'm too tired to do it.

A number of factors have led me back to my blog, the main one is that I have access to my computer this evening and the freeview programme information thingy is on the blink and watching TV has become somewhat of a russian roulette as our TV schedule hails from The News of The World, my weekly tabloid dose. I am no longer ashamed of reading tabloids, ever since one of my english teachers pointed out to us that some tabloid journalists are among the best in the country. However, at risk of sounding like a news snob, I'd still like to point out that I read my fair share of what used to be called broadsheets too.

Today, on another bizarre work-related mission up Oxford Street, I got stopped by two girls from Company Magazine for one of those little columns with random civilians spouting off about opinions, habits, what Megan from Watford should do, etc. So, possibly coming soon, Voxpop Anti. I did another one a few months ago for Easy Living, I'm not even sure how I get sucked in to do them. I suppose it's the element of surprise, coupled with soft cooing public school voices (reminiscent of my youth) and the faux cheeriness of the person squeezing the details of your life out of you.

In completely unrelated news, I was reading In Gear in The Sunday Times the other night (anyone ever got through every section in one day? No, didn't think so). Apparently a woman named Sarah sits in her office for a year and calculates how much a human life is worth in various situations and how much should be spent to prevent such casulties, known as the VPF, the value of preventing a statistical fatality:

Value of life on British roads - £1.43m
Domestic passenger ships - £2.5m
Cancer in the workplace - £2.86m
Accident in a nuclear plant - £2.86m - £14.3m

Outside the UK (value of life on roads)
US Highways - £2.02m (market value)
Switzerland - £1.65m
Germany - £1.06m
France - £800,000
Spain - £200,000

You can read the full article here

Now, I'm going to attempt to tame the television and find out what the hell is actually on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home