Thursday, September 25, 2008

Milan: the great model debate

My apologies, I've been lacking in internet but dying to post and now there's a scheduled blogger outage in less than an hour so I'd better be quick.

I've been flipping through the shows from Milan on style.com and I came across the Prada show. Cast your minds back if you will, to 2006. Milan was the first major city to take on the Healthy Model Body Mass Index, enouraging designers to use models who might actually occasionally eat and not be running solely on laxatives and coffee. So imagine my surprise when I came across this model:



I hate to be a fashion killjoy but this girl looks like she's about to drop dead and the glassy-eyed look so often adopted by models as they stalk down the catwalk actually looks real. Those ribs! Those legs! I can understand that clothes hang better on skinny people but corpses? Come on, Miuccia, that's just not right.

But it didn't end there, oh no. Step forth, model from the Jil Sander show:



And let's not forget the girls at Etro, whose shoulders could have your eye out in a bar:



Still, I suppose that with the economy in its current state, it won't be long before many of us are rocking shoulder blades as lethal weapons.

And now, to lift the mood ever so slightly, one very angry looking model from the Prada show:



Girlfriend's about to beat yo ass down.

[all images from the awesome style.com.]

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home