Saturday, January 31, 2009

Gardening for adulescents

A few months ago, the boyfriend and I came home slightly merry and in an attempt to get to my side of the bed, I ended up falling into the shelf and knocking my most newly acquired cactus to the ground. The little cheery mexican style pot that it resided in smashed into millions of pieces and since then, it has sat naked in it's plastic pot, looking more than a little neglected.

Every week, I'd look at it and think that I must stop at Homebase that night and pick up a new pot for it and of course, I'd forget or it would be raining or so on and I wouldn't.

Today, I went on a crazy cleaning mission to finally sort out the afore mentioned shelves and of course, in the course of cleaning I once again came eye to spike with the cactus. I admit that once again the Homebase promise came to mind and was equally swiftly forgotten until I sat down about half an hour ago to watch TV and bag up all of the stuff I'd set aside for the charity shop. One of the larger piles was of old jewellery from my teens, amongst them plenty of brightly beaded plastic bracelets and suddenly, a craft project was born.

I fished out an old candle jar that I'd previously thrown in the bin and started figuring out that this indeed could probably be made into a new plant pot. And so, below is a step by step photo guide of my re-potting adventure. I apologise for the crappy quality of the photos, my camera battery died so I had to use my iphone.


the unwitting victim



candle soon to be plant pot




the work station (for reasons beyond my understanding, blogger has decided to rotate this photo)



a work in progress



taa-daa!


And so, there you have it. The cactus has a new home and I have a new use for some kitsch old bracelets. Hurrah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home