Friday, January 11, 2008

2008, oh great.

I know it's pretty late but Happy New Year! So far '08 has been pretty busy for me. Cruelly, I had to start work back on the 2nd. I'll be honest, that early is a nasty shock to the system. Last year, I started on the 3rd. Even a day makes a difference when its that close to New Years Day.

So far, I don't know whether I like '08. '07 was a pretty good year but so far, this year has brought nothing but poverty, which sucks. I'd better get a pay cheque soon or I'll have to start selling random objects, people or organs on ebay.

What sucks most is having to leave my job at the end of this month. I've really enjoyed interning at the magazine I'm with now. Most of the time, I am treated with courtesy, kindness and humanity, unlike many interns. I like the people I work with but now with the deadline of my temporary contract looming, I must move on to pastures new. It'll be weird to go somewhere, good but weird. I think new faces will be healthy. But still strange. Luckily, my next stop will feature a friend of mine who has just taken a position at the same place so I'll have one ally.

That makes it slightly less scary.

On a completely random and polar topic change, has anyone seen this week's postsecret? This reply is particularly haunting:


Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 1:14 AM
Subject: Re: PostSecret News

I am a 43 year old mom, and I have two daughters, ages 10 and 12. I have read your blog for a while now. I purchased one of your books, and then when I found out you would be on a campus nearby, I went to listen and watch.

My husband was out of town at the time. My daughters stayed home, when I returned they asked me about the event I went to see. I told them how much I enjoyed it, showed them the covers of the books I purchased, showed them your signature. I also read a secret on the back of one of the books. Then after a little while, I told my girls to brush their teeth and get ready for bed.

Then one of them returns to my room. She was shaking, clearly upset and her lip was quivering. I said, "baby what's wrong?" I couldn't imagine what had upset her and she said, "Mom I have a secret." What she proceeded to tell me was the ultimate betrayal a father and a husband could commit to both of his daughters, and to me.

Of course then an emotional tornado soon followed, and I chose to believe and protect my daughters. So fast forward to now. Divorce papers filed. Serious felony charges filed by prosecutor. Full order of protection granted. New town, new life. Free of sexual abuse, dishonesty, and betrayal.

I know, it is possible that my daughters would have told me later, I know it is possible they may never have told me. But I know for a fact it was because of your book and so many brave people releasing their secrets that inspired my daughter, to tell the hardest secret she has ever had to keep and the hardest secret she will ever have to release.

Because of that, we are free. They are free. They are safe now. So thank you, very very much.


I don't know quite how to end this post; it could be a wittism or one liner, it could be heavy. I don't know. Maybe its best to follow postsecret* and make what you will of it.




* - got visit postsecret because it's awesome. Did I mention how awesome postsecret is? Go, visit. NOW. (And no, I'm not being paid to say that.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home