Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Where to start?

I know that I've been away for a long time and a lot has happened in that time that I should blog about. And perhaps the biggest story of that time has been the passing of Michael Jackson. Tonight, as I got home I sat down to watch the huge memorial to a man who hasn't left the front pages of every magazine, newspaper and website in the last 12 days. I found myself becoming quite emotional at all of the tributes but it wasn't until the end, when his daughter took the microphone.

Bearing in mind that this is a child whose father took every pain to keep his kids out of the spotlight and away from the papparazzi at every opportunity, for her to suddenly speak in front of the hundreds of millions (possibly even billions) around the world who were watching was incredibly brave. As she voiced her love for the 'greatest daddy in the world', my heart broke.

For all of the dredging up of stories, dodgy jokes and endless speculation of debts and mysterious doctors that have been sensationally splashed in every form of media, it was easy to forget that in this chaos there lies a very real story of three children whose collective world has been turned upside down. Although no doubt, there are already many videos out there of the moment floating on youtube, I've chosen not to look for any or indeed include links to it. That poor little girl's devastation was heartbreaking enough the first time.

I don't really know where I'm going with this post and my boyfriend thinks I'm an emotional freak but I felt I had to write something. I guess something like this acts as a reality check on our own mortality.

I'll be back soon enough to fill in the blanks of stories from the last few weeks soon enough. Until then, tell someone you love them.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home